The laboratory of microbial genetics focuses on the genetics and genetic variability of rumen microorganisms. New species of rumen treponemas and actinobacteria were described. We focused on mobilomics of selected bacteria and characterized at molecular level genomes of several mobile gene elements – plasmids, transposons, and bacteriophages and analyzed their role in the resistance spreading. We characterized a new RCR (rolling circle replication) plasmid family from Selenomonas ruminantium. We studied factors affecting the rumen microbial community composition, especially bacteriocin production. We characterized a large heat-labile bacteriocin – enterolysin A. We found that enterolysin A hydrolyses cell walls of sensitive bacteria and recognize lipoteichooic acids. Enterolysin A is applicable as an anti-enterococcal therapeutic in veterinary and human medicine.
The main area of our interest is genetic ecology and antibiotic resistance genes spreading. We study the resistance occurrence in small mammals (Apodemus, Clethrionomys, Sorex spp.) which could serve as a reservoir of antibiotic resistance (ESBL, plasmid encoded chinolone resistance, carbapenemases) in indicator bacteria Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus spp. We are interested in anti-biofilm activities of natural compounds (biosurfactants and Lactobacillus cell-free extracts) using the static and dynamic biofilm models with resistant staphylococci (MRSA and MRCoNS), Escherichia coli (ESBL and cefotaximases) and Pseudomonas aeruginosa on various surfaces (plastics, catheters and food grade stainless sheet).
Prof. DVM. V. Kmeť, DSc., Assoc. Prof. RNDr. Peter Javorský, DSc., Assoc. Prof. RNDr. Peter Pristaš, PhD., PhD., RNDr. Lívia Kolesár Fecskeová, PhD, RNDr. D. Bujňáková, PhD., Zuzana Alexiová, Dana Melišová.
- Capillary microelectrophoretic system Agilent 2100 for electrophoretic analysis of DNA, RNA and proteins on chip, including simple flow-cytometry analysis.
- MALDI TOF – Biotyper for rapid bacteria and yeasts identification and biodiversity analysis based on protein spectra comparisons.
- DCode Universal Mutation Detection System for the DGGE analysis.
- CHEF-DR III System for pulse field electrophoresis.
- ABI PRISM 3100 Genetic Analyser for sequencing and fragmentation analyses.